Wednesday 2 June 2010

Architecture Brief (Design Work)






These designs were created for a brief entitled "Architecture". I had to research into buildings, landscapes and sculptures that used architectural forms to create interesting silhouettes and dynamic shapes. I looked into fashion designers such as Hussein Chalayan who use sculpture and architecture within their work. I found a really interesting, contemporary building in Japan that had giant loops, each with different engravings and detailing. This inspired me with my design work. I created the loop shapes using different weights of paper; some of which I used cut work (inspired by another piece of architectural sculpture) and lines of machine stitch to add detail. I have also used the same cut work to illustrate the figure. I think this gives a really interesting overall look to the design. The end result of these designs was a 10foot paper instillation garment, that hung from the ceiling and draped along the floor. (as it was too big for a stand!) I started this process by experimenting with my paper 'loop' shapes on a stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment